Reopening Workers' Comp Claims

Reopening Workers' Comp Claims in South Carolina

The workers' compensation system is designed to help injured workers recuperate, both physically and financially, so they can return to the workforce and continue making a living to take care of their family. But what happens when someone goes back to work and aggravates the same injury for which he or she received workers' comp?

In certain circumstances, it may be possible to reopen the original claim. David Yokel has handled all aspects of South Carolina workers' compensation claims for more than 35 years. He can evaluate your situation to determine whether reopening your claim is an option, and if it is, how to accomplish it quickly and efficiently.

Serving injured workers in Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson and across upstate South Carolina. Call 864-240-2066 for a initial consultation.

Time Limit for Reopening Workers' Compensation Claims

Worker's comp claims can only be reopened within the first 12 months after the final payment is paid to you pursuant to an award for compensation. It is very important that you call an attorney as soon as your condition/injury flares up or changes.

Further, if a worker signed a final release (called a Clincher Agreement), then the claim cannot be reopened. The Clincher Agreement relieves the employer and the insurance company from any further responsibility to pay medical expenses or other compensation, even if the worker's injury worsens.

As a lawyer who has helped many workers in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson area over the years, Mr. Yokel understands the South Carolina workers' compensation system and can quickly evaluate your case. If your injury has worsened, you received your final payment less than a year ago, and you did not sign a Clincher Agreement, there is a strong chance that you could receive further medical treatment and additional compensation for your changed condition.

Contact a Work Injury Attorney for a Consultation

If you have questions about reopening a workers' comp claim, reach out to workers' compensation lawyer David Yokel for help. Call 864-240-2066 or contact him online to schedule a consultation. His firm serves clients throughout the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson and throughout the upstate areas.