Workers' Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

Greenville Law Firm Answers Your Questions About Workers' Comp

Frequently Asked Questions About Workers' Compensation

If you're injured on the job, workers' compensation (or worker's comp for short) can be your financial lifeline. You need time to recover from your injury, money to cover your medical bills, and continuation of wages so you can keep paying your bills and support your family.

Workers' comp takes care of this with the intention of providing medical treatment while you heal so you can return to your job. However, the system isn't always perfect, and sometimes you will need an experienced advocate on your side to ensure your rights are protected. David Yokel understands workers' comp law in Greenville and throughout South Carolina, and will not only answer your questions, but also help you obtain temporary benefits, appropriate medical treatment and recover a fair settlement for your injury. Contact the Yokel Law Firm today.

Workers' Comp FAQ

Who pays workers' compensation?
Your employer is responsible for paying your workers' comp through an insurance company. However, if the company has less than four regularly employed employees that includes part-time workers, the employer is not subject to workers' compensation laws.

When should I file my workers' comp claim?
You should report your injury as soon as possible after your injury occurs. If you don't report your injury to your employer within 90 days, you may lose your right to benefits. South Carolina law, however, gives you up to two years. After reporting your injury, your employer has 10 days to file a claim on your behalf.

If your employer doesn't file a claim, you can file one yourself. For the best results, a qualified workers' comp attorney can help you file your claim in the Greenville area.

What kind of benefits can I expect?
Workers' comp should pay for:

  • Medical care related to your condition
  • Compensation for lost wages (2/3 of your average weekly wages for the past year) up to a maximum compensation rate as determined by the State. How long this will last depends on many circumstances, including returning to work with or without accommodations on restricted duty, but typically ends when you have reached maximum medical improvement.
  • Additional compensation for any permanent injury which could be partial (PPD) or total (PTD).
  • Mileage reimbursement for travel more than 5 miles one-way.
  • Keep in mind, however, you must see a doctor chosen by your employer or your employer's insurance representative.

If your workers' comp claim is denied, or you believe any portion is unfair, your employment lawyer can work to right any wrong.

Greenville Workers' Comp Attorney Protects Your Rights

The Yokel Law Firm believes that hard workers deserve fair treatment under the law when they're injured on the job. Call today at 864-240-2066 if you need assistance in receiving the compensation you deserve. We're ready to help.