Psychological Damage and Emotional Injuries
Ask a Greenville Workers' Comp Law Firm About Compensation for Psychological Damage
Can I Get Workers' Compensation for Emotional Injuries?
We all know that workers' comp covers physical injury. However, not everyone may know that workers' compensation can cover emotional injury or psychological damages as well. These workers' comp benefits can cover issues like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, or depression that occur on the job.
They also may include pre-existing conditions aggravated by work, such as ADD, anxiety, OCD, or certain phobias. These issues must be brought on by stressors in the workplace, however, and sometimes can be difficult to prove. This is where working with a Greenville workers' compensation lawyer like David Yokel is imperative to getting the best results in receiving the benefits you need to begin the healing process.
What Is and Is Not Mental Injury
According to South Carolina law, there are many things that can contribute to psychological damage in the workplace, making you eligible for workers' compensation. However, there are also some situations that may not.
Typical eligible situations include:
- Psychological problems resulting from traumatic physical injury
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Unusual or extraordinary conditions of employment resulting in mental illness or injury, and a physician relates the stressful employment conditions to the development of the stress, mental injury or mental illness
- Stress brought on by abuse, harassment, or retaliation
- Heart attacks, strokes, embolisms or aneurisms may be eligible for compensation, under certain circumstances
Typical non-eligible situations include:
- Work transfers
- Promotions or non-promotions
- Terminations (unless done in extraordinary circumstances)
- Salary reviews
- Job performance reviews
It's important to note that courts determine each situation differently. Your workers' compensation lawyer can help you build a strong case if your benefits are questioned or denied.
Look to the Yokel Law Firm for Workers' Comp Assistance
The Yokel Law Firm believes that injured workers deserve fair treatment under the law if they're injured on the job. Contact us today at 864-240-2066 if you need assistance in receiving the compensation you deserve. We're ready to help.